- This event has passed.
SONATA @SDN & OpenFlow World Congress
12 October 2016 @ 15:35 - 17:00 CEST
SONATA’s contribution to SDN & OpenFlow Congress is two-fold: it organises a workshop session and présents a paper on “Understand Your Chains: Towards Performance Profile-based Network Service Management”.
The workshop session at the SDN & OpenFlow World Congress is scheduled on October the 12th at 3:35 pm (2 hours)
Objective is two-fold:
- Introducing SONATA NFV-based development toolkit and service platform and announce the release of its first version.
- Discussing with experts the tools and processes required to drive the software development in a DevOps approach, something that is at the very core of the SONATA development cycle.
In addition, the “Understand Your Chains: Towards Performance Profile-based Network Service Management” paper was accepted for EWSDN’16 which was co-located with the SDN & OpenFlow World Congress 2016. The paper is presented on October 10th. It analyses and discusses the components needed to generate such performance behavior information within the NFV DevOps workflow. It also outlines research questions that identify open issues and missing pieces for a fully integrated NFV profiling solution. Further, it introduces a novel profiling mechanism that is able to profile virtualized network functions and entire network service chains under different resource constraints before they are deployed on production infrastructure. Indeed, allocating resources to virtualized network functions and services to meet service level agreements is a challenging task for NFV management and orchestration systems. This becomes even more challenging when agile development method- ologies, like DevOps, are applied. In such scenarios, management and orchestration systems are continuously facing new versions of functions and services which makes it hard to decide how much resources have to be allocated to them to provide the expected service performance. One solution for this problem is to support resource allocation decisions with performance behavior information obtained by profiling techniques applied to such network functions and services.
Agile Service Development and Orchestration in 5G Virtualized Networks
SONATA is developing a NFV framework that provides a programming model and development toolchain for virtualized services, fully integrated with a DevOps-enabled service platform and orchestration system. SONATA initial results include:
- SONATA’s Network Service SDK: Facilitates network service development for third-party developers
- SONATA’s Service platform: Thanks to the modular design of its MANO framework offers , the platform offers high customization opportunities for both, Communication Service Providers and Service Developers.
- SONATA NFV DevOps Workflow: The SONATA system is designed for agile development and operation of network services. It enables a DevOps workflow between the SDK tools and the service platform, which allows developers and operators to closely collaborate.
Contacts: Sonia Castro Carillo & Josep Martrat (Atos)
About the SDN & OpenFlow World Congress (10-14 October, The Hague, Netherlands)
Launched in the spring of 2012, the SDN & OpenFlow World Congress showcases for the rapidly growing and massively influential, Software-Defined Networking and Network Functions Virtualisation industries.
Read more on SDN & OpenFlow World Congress website here.